Vertaal

Friday 27 August 2021

Creative process Psalm 4:8

 Psalm 4:8

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou Lord, only makest me dwell in safety.


As Psalm 3 doesn't have a verse 16, I just count on to Psalm 4.

Usually I read the chapter and some commentaries to get a feeling for the meaning.

Then I go on and write words down which come to my mind.

Rest, peace, sleep, Lord, dwell, safety, circle, hands, hoizontal, music, music notes, shelter.

Those words help me to visualize and then I start sketching. I started of with a circle and some flowy patterns. 

But subconsciously I already had a picture in my mind, because this verse is always with me when I go on a long hiking journey.  And many a time, in the middle of the wilderness this comes to my mind.

So I thought I am going to make this personal and include mountains and a tent!

At the same time my eyes were drawn to a detail in one of the quilts Deborah Boschert is working on. Thanks Deborah! Check her out

@deborahboschert

I have quite a stash of fabrics and make pile of blues and greens as they evoce peace and rest       to me. 

Once I am at that stage I have a rough idea of the base layer of the quilt. So I start fusing some pieces together. Each step then needs thought about the order: Stitching first? Or printing? Foreground or background layer? It takes me many hours of pondering and readjusting.



I really like this design, maybe I can use it as inspiration for another art quilt.















The sky is a bit too light, so I use a biscuit wrapper as a stamp and stamp some gray over the light fabric. Quite happy with the added texture.


At this stage it's scary to make a stencil for printing over the almost finished design....if this doesn't work......
Stitching first or tent first? Tent first and the stitching adds an interesting layer.

Almost finished now, just do some hand stitching and finish the edges.

No comments:

Post a Comment