Vertaal

Friday 25 June 2021

Reveiling Esther 4:1

I already wrote a blog about some of the background of the book of Esther and the design/background research I did. 

Now for some technical details. I decided to make a fabric collage in a neutral palette. So I fused steam-a-seam on several pieces of tonal fabrics and layed it out in a square. I cut some pieces of hessian (jute) and distressed this to give the impression of torn clothes. 

I copied the cuneiform script from the Behistun Inscription, established by king Darius the Great. I took me quite a few hours, I felt like a monk ;)

I preferred it to be an abstract piece (meaning no literal Mordechai with torn clothes), but I still managed to hide a face profile in it. 
Composition is something I think long and hard about and I usually sketch a minimum of 8 different compositions. It's important the whole is well balanced and also has a little tension. Hence the teardrops to repeat the blue and the jute to repeat in the corner. 

I am very happy how my cuneiform script turned out, with the Bibleverse woven into it. It was actually very scary to quilt over it, but the irregular grid is very fitting and symbolic.

Let's show you how it turned out, hope you enjoy it!






No comments:

Post a Comment